Sunday, June 05, 2005

Up Hill, Down Vale and the Jumping Frog

Day 2

I now sit in Angels Camp at the Gold Country Inn. Apparently Mark Twain lived here for a few months in 1864. It was here he wrote The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County. They still have the leaping frog competitions every year in May. Guess I missed it this year.

In the motel room I found a newspaper which explained the plethora of bikers on the road yesterday and last night. It was the 11th annual Sierra Hope Ride, a 50-mile ride starting in Modesto and ending with festivities and a rock concert in Sonora. It is a fundraiser for MDA. Many of the riders of course spent Saturday night filling up the motels on this section of 49. If this ride is on the same weekend next year, I may take part myself.

When I left Sonora at around 10 this morning, the temperature was only up to 51. It sounds cold, but with the sun shining brightly and the slower speeds demanded by the road, it was just perfect in a leather jacket. The highest the temperature got all day was about 78. Still comfy, even for the HWWs who demand precisely 73.6 degrees at all times.

Highway 49 north of Sonora is even better than south. The 17 miles from Sonora to Angels Camp is full of twisties and small hills designed specifically for the Magna wheelbase and center of gravity. I stopped at Angels Camp tonight just so that tomorrow morning I could start my last day of this trip with that stretch of road.

Rider's View

Moving farther north toward Auburn, there are more and more good twisties. There is a big descent into the canyon cut by the Mokelumne River. Next to the bridge crossing the river is the Moke River Lodge. Not a very inviting name, though I didn't notice any mokes or titas hanging around.

Progress was slower than expected. There were lots of people out for a Sunday drive, most of them clueless about the meaning of "turnout" or "slower traffic." Also there are lots of quaint little towns along this stretch of the road, all of them slowing traffic considerably. I didn't mind so much, as some of them looked exactly like a western movie set and were worth driving through slowly.

One of many great views

Just before Auburn there was yet another canyon, this one cut by the American River. A beautiful descent and an even better climb. Braking on these descents is a little tiring, but precise speed control on the climbs is a breeze. One observation: this Magna has a lower center of gravity and is much quieter than the old Magna. I think the shaft drive, the higher seat, and especially the noise contributed to its reputation as a concrete eater. This one is so smooth and quiet that its power is much more stealthy. And it corners with merely a thought.

American River

Just north of Auburn, and with 380 miles on the clock, I turned around and pointed the nose toward home. Heading back down to the American River was even better than my first descent into this canyon, and upon finishing the climb back up I was greeted by a sign announcing the town of Cool, population 200. Amazing! Just as you pop out of the canyon and all that's in your mind is, "Way cool," you are greeted by a sign saying, "Cool."

As I approached Angels Camp, my left forearm really started to hurt. Too many miles with too many gear changes. I hope it feels better tomorrow. I've got over 250 miles to go.

Today was a total of 210 miles, but virtually ALL twisties. I'm a pretty tired ol' biker tonight.

No comments: